Gus' History with the Summit's HOA

When I moved into the Summit in January 2018, I had no intention of becoming involved with the HOA. 

That changed when a homeowner in Barony Place II received a Parking Violation Notice for a car (not owned by her) parked in front of her house, on the street, for three hours one afternoon. Her daughter had parked there while they went shopping in the homeowner's car.

The Violation Notice arrived in the mail several days later. The car, of course, had been gone by late afternoon.

I immediately suspected the HOA had no authority to enforce HOA rules over a public roadway. I argued it with the office and with Justin Martin, then-President of the HOA. He told me the HOA could enforce the By-Laws on the public roadway and also told me he didn't have to prove it to me.

I set about getting a copy of the Deed for the roadway, as there was a 5% chance that Justin was right. When I finally got the Deed (that took about two years), there was NO language in it about the HOA or the By-Laws. 

I furnished a copy to the HOA office, and no one in Barony Place II has received a Parking Violation Notice since.

Then I began looking into other areas where I believed the Board was violating the By-Laws. I found many of them. And that's where we are today.

We might have a different relationship, had the Board back then said, "Let us look into your claim and see if you might be right." Justin just said, "You're wrong." I asked that the Board consult with its attorney. There is no evidence they did so.

The current board inherited the errors of past boards. But, like those other boards, it seems they are refusing to seek legal advice. 

Playing "ostrich" might turn out to be very expensive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annual Meeting, Barony Place Neighborhood - continued to 5/4/2024

Open Letter to Barony Place "Voting Member"

Special Assessment Possible?